Anazarbus Survey

Location: Anavarza (anciently Anazarbus); Adana Province

Years: 1949-1951

Project Director: Michael Gough

Participants: Mary Ormbsy Gough


In 1949, the Goughs spent six weeks exploring Anavarza, the site of ancient Anazarbus, and its surrounding regions. 

The following year, 1950, Michael Gough returned to spend ten weeks surveying and recording monuments and collecting inscriptions at Anavarza and nearby sites.  Two of Anavarza’s architectural features on which he focused particularly were the triumphal arch and the Church of the Apostles.  The villages southwest and east of Anavarza were also surveyed, and it was established that the village of Tozlu used to be a Roman settlement.  Epigraphic collection was undertaken at Pompeiopolis, Erzin, Silifke, Uzuncaburç, Barkas, and Toprakkale.

In the summer of 1951 they returned to the site for a few days.  Though they were unable to excavate, they were successful in surveying the site, collecting new epigraphic material, and attempting to put together the city’s history based on the literary, epigraphic, and archaeological material collected.  Among the buildings and city features carefully examined during the survey were the main aqueduct, the triumphal arch, the southwest church, the church in the upper town, the Church of the Apostles, the Church of the Armenian Kings, and Anavarza Castle.  In addition to this, squeezes or hand copies of a number of inscriptions were taken.


Gough, M. 1951: ‘Classical and Post-Classical Cilicia’ Anatolian Studies 1: 18-19

Gough, M. 1952: ‘Anazarbus’ Anatolian Studies 2: 85-149

See also:

Bayliss, R. 1997: ‘The Alacami in Kadirli: Transformations of a sacred monument’ Anatolian Studies 47: 57-87

Belongs to;
Archaeology and Related Disciplines

View other research