Survey of Early Christian Architecture in Southwestern Turkey

Location: Alaca Dağ, Kumluova, Elmalı; Antalya and Muğla Provinces

Year: 1963

Project Director: R. M. Harrison

Funding: British Academy, Leverhulme Trust

Summary:

R. M. Harrison first conducted fieldwork on the Christian architecture of Central Lycia for four months in 1959 as the BIAA Scholar and for two months in 1960 as the BIAA Fellow.  He investigated areas like Myra, Alacadağköy, Ernez, Gendova and Uçağiz.

He then spent two months in 1963 studying the design of architectural mouldings and early Christian architecture.  He focused on Lycian structures in the southern and western provinces, with a particular emphasis on architectural carving.  The monasteries visited at Alaca Dağ were found to have elaborate carvings, but proved difficult to date.  He then continued to Letoön (Kumluova) for two weeks, at the invitation of the French Mission at Xanthos, where he participated in the excavation of a church, finding coins, pottery, and mosaics dating to the sixth century AD.  At Elmalı, in central Lycia, Harrison identified Choma based on some inscriptions found at Hacimusalar-Sarilar, and found a milestone at Tekke that points to an ancient road that led from there to Arycanda.  A Medieval settlement was studied at the latter site.

Bibliography:

1964: ‘Report of the Council of Management and of the Director for 1963’ Anatolian Studies 14: 5-6, 10

See also:

Harrison, R.M. 1963: ‘Churches and Chapels of Central Lycia’ Anatolian Studies 13: 117-151

Harrison, R. M. and Bean, G.E. 1967: ‘The site of Choma’ Journal of Roman Studies 57: 40-44

Belongs to;
Archaeology Related Disciplines
Surveys

View other research