Sia Survey – Pisidia Survey Project

Location: near Karaot; Antalya Province

Years: 1995-1996

Director: Stephen Mitchell

Participants: Thurstan Robinson, Paula Pugsley, Penny McParlin, Stephanie Mühlenbrock, Friederike Hofmann, Susan Breeuwsma, Federica Santangelo, Lutgarde Vandeput, Veli Köse, Sabri Aydal

Government Representatives: M. Akaslan (1995), Sabri Aydal (1996)

Summary:

Between 6 September and 6 October 1995, four Pisidian cities and their territories were investigated.  One of these was Sia, a little known but very well-preserved southern Pisidian site located about 2km east of Karaot village on a wooded hill.  It had been discovered in 1892 and visited again in 1957, though not studied extensively until 1995.  Specific areas were targeted as points of focus for the investigation, specifically the fortification walls, assembly building, and the temple area.  Three phases of the Hellenistic walls and towers were recorded in detail and photographed, and a plan and cross section for the assembly building were drawn.  A plan of the temple site was made, and some inscriptions were found.  A plan of the church at the edge of the main necropolis was also created.  Some other ancient settlements were noted along the road between Dağbeli and Karaot.

In 1996, three weeks were spent creating a plan of the settlement at Sia, including its houses, public buildings, tombs, and fortifications.  The domestic structures were found both within and without the fortification walls; the earliest were Hellenistic, but most showed evidence for continued occupation until late antiquity.  Public structures included a monumental staircase with 18 flights, a bath building supplied by a very large public cistern (dating to around the third century AD), as well as the assembly building recorded in the previous situation.  The site is notable for three Roman period temples and a sanctuary for the emperor cult, containing several inscribed imperial statue bases of the third century AD.  The cemeteries displayed some striking and well-constructed built tombs.  The surviving traces of the late Roman period at the site include two churches, dating to the fourth or fifth century AD.  The site itself was densely settled, and settlements and graves within the territory provide evidence that the countryside, too, had been well populated.  There was extensive evidence for olive cultivation.

Sources:

Anatolian Archaeology 1: 15-18; 2: 9-21

Mitchell, S. 1997: ‘1995 yılı Pisida yüzey araştırması’ XIV Araştırma Sonuçları Toplantısı 1: 47-62

Aydal, S., Mitchell, S., Vandeput, L. 1998: ‘1996 yılı Pisida yüzey araştırması’ XV Araştırma Sonuçları Toplantısı 2: 275-94

Belongs to;
Surveys

View other research